“Countless lives have been saved and injuries prevented because of robust health and safety practices. But bogus excuses give real safety laws a bad name and stop people from taking action.”
How to clear snow and iceWhen you clear snow and ice:
- do it early in the day - it’s easier to move fresh, loose snow
- don’t use water - it might refreeze and turn to black ice
- use salt if possible - it will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing overnight (but don’t use the salt from salting bins as this is used to keep roads clear)
- you can use ash and sand if you don’t have enough salt - it will provide grip underfoot
- pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways - using more salt may help"